Your garage door should complement the architectural style of your house but, more than that, it should provide you with protection and security. Considering this, it’s important to choose a door that is suited to your home’s style yet, at the same time, is made from durable materials that can withstand harsh forces and damaging weather conditions.
Automatic Garage Door, a leading provider of garage doors in Akron Ohio, provides these simple tips to help you in choosing the right garage door for your home:
1) Consider your home’s architectural style in choosing the type of door: There are four basic garage door types: sliding, roll up, swing up, and swing out. Sliding and swing out, as well as swing up are easy to operate and offer superior aesthetic value. Roll up, on the other hand, is a popular choice as it is more durable and provides better security due to its lock system. There are two common types of roll up: sectional roll up and rolling steel. Sectional roll up doors are made from lighter materials such as wood while rolling steel is made of metal or steel.
2) Pick the right material: Common garage door materials are wood, aluminum, and steel. Wood can be easily customizable but may require frequent repainting or refinishing. If you want a durable and low-maintenance material, opt for steel which is fitting for a roll-up type of door. On the other hand, aluminum offers a rugged look and is light-weight and rust-proof. It is a good choice for an extra-wide double door that doesn’t require much pressure on its operating mechanism.
3) Take the exact measurements: You can purchase a ready-made garage door or you can opt for a custom-built one to suit your exact requirements. If you prefer a roll-up door, it is important that you measure the top of your garage door’s opening and your ceiling, specifically the overhead framing.
4) Select hardware that offers aesthetic value and durability: Your choice of hardware makes your door easy to operate, and completes the overall look of your garage door. You may choose from a variety of materials: brass, steel, nickel, and pewter. Your choice should be able to carry or counteract your door’s weight, making it easy to lift and lower.
5) Choose the right insulation: A garage door attached to your home needs ample insulation. If not, cold air can get inside your home, which can increase your energy consumption. Also, insulation acts as barrier against street noise. You may choose from a variety of materials: batt insulation, foam board insulation, and reflective insulation. Batt insulation is typically made of fiberglass and placed into exterior walls. Commonly, it is supported by foil or paper acting as a barrier against vapor. Foam board insulation has firm panels made from polystyrene, which despite its lack of thickness, delivers sufficient insulation. On the other hand, reflective insulation reflects radiant heat, making it a fitting choice for garages that may easily heat up in hot climates.
Choosing the right material, type, hardware; taking the right measurements; and selecting the right insulation are all important for a garage door that delivers improved curb appeal, protection, security, energy-efficiency, and added home value.
To help you select the right option for your home, feel free to consult Automatic Garage Door. We provide garage doors in Akron made from durable materials and available in different styles. Feel free to call us at (330) 626-3311 to schedule a free in-home consultation. You may also bring photos of your home to our showroom at 8648 State Route 14 in Streetsboro, and our staff will help you choose in consideration of your home style and budget.